Hey guys and girls, thought I should give you an update on how The Last Queen of Terrivea is coming alone. Still on the second draft, which entails writing in large chunks of story to fill in the plot points that I have added. The next step is to rearrange my current manuscript to reflect the changes I made to the plot. Once I’ve rearranged, filled in blanks, and make a list of my common mistakes to avoid, I will be moving onto the next step.
The rewrite. Probably going to be one the most daunting tasks thus far. Let me be clear, I’m not rewriting my manuscript because it’s unfixable or horrible. I am rewriting my manuscript because I know that I can make it even better that way. In the same amount of time that it would take to fix everything up (including all my boring/mediocre prose), I could rewrite it. The rewrite will also help teach myself how to avoid some of my most common mistakes while writing. Two birds one stone.
After the rewrite I plan to look through the novel, again, and find anything I missed, should add, or should change with the plot further. At this point I hope that there are only minimal plot changes and that my characters are on point. Then I can look at some smaller aspects that might need tweaking, like scenes and prose that need some life. Dialogue and descriptions will probably be on that list as well.
From there it’s redrafting and editing until the manuscript sings.
Now, for the life update.
I’ve been laid off of my day job. Due to budget cuts and union bumps, I will no longer hold my position at the end of June. It’s unfortunate, but life goes on. I will be looking for new positions and in the meanwhile I will be on the casual list. If I cannot find a new position I can remain on the casual list and focus on my novel in the meantime.
Thanks for reading,